FAQ’s: Frequently Asked Questions about the COVID-19 Pandemic and its Impact on the Center and Best Practices to Create a Safe Environment for Members and Our Team of Employees
As per the directive issued by Governor Tom Wolf, we will be closed as of Saturday, December 12th, and plan to reopen on Monday, January 4th, at 8:00am. Learn More.
Membership (Updated 12.11.20)
Updated as of 12.11.20
There is NO NEED TO FREEZE YOUR MEMBERSHIP during the timeframe we are closed. If you plan to continue to support our Center and our staff by maintaining your fitness routine with our virtual options,(to learn more click HERE), your billing will continue uninterrupted. Otherwise, if your membership billing is December 15th, we will not bill you in December. For members who were billed on December 1st and do not choose virtual, we will apply nineteen days of the December payment towards your January dues. Note: Credit for nineteen days excludes Christmas Day, as the Center is always closed on December 25th.
All billing will resume when we reopen on January 4th, prorated for the month, and the credit from December will be applied.
Monday to Friday: 9:00am–5:00pm
Thursday, December 24th: 9:00am–2:00pm
Friday, December 25th: Closed
Thursday, December 31st: 9:00am–4:00pm
Friday, January 1st: Closed
We ask for your patience as we respond to your concerns as soon as possible.
Safety & Protection
Q. Should members and employees wear gloves?
A. While gloves are optional, we recommend following the CDC guidelines which is to wear gloves when you are cleaning or caring for someone who is sick. It is best for members and employees to concentrate on vigorously washing hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds before and after workouts rather than wearing gloves throughout the facility. Our team of employees will wear gloves when they are cleaning.
Q. How will the new policies and procedures be enforced in the Center?
A. We have educated and trained our staff to act as “Physical Distancing Ambassadors.” They will hold members accountable for all member policies, procedures, rules, and regulations. They will monitor and help in maintaining safe physical distancing parameters and will assist in the disinfecting and cleaning of the Fitness Floor. The Ambassadors will also correct any member behavior that is in violation of established member policies.
Q. How will distancing guidelines be maintained in the Center?
A. You will notice many measures in place to achieve the advised physical distancing. We have arranged the Fitness Floor to facilitate physical distancing—which required reducing the available cardio equipment for use. Select pieces of cardio equipment have been unplugged and clearly marked to facilitate distancing. Some additional spacing has been provided where needed in the strength training area. Floor markings have been placed in the studios and throughout the facility. Locker rooms have signage and some lockers have been placed out-of-service. Throughout the entire Center there is signage on the walls and floors to remind everyone to practice safe physical distancing.
Q. What are the hours of operation once the Center is able to open?
A. In order to promote a clean and sanitary facility, we have temporarily modified our operating hours. Our initial operating hours will be:
- Monday–Thursday: 5:00am–10:00pm
- Friday: 5:00am–9:00pm
- Saturday & Sunday: 7:00am–5:00pm
Q. Are the locker rooms open?
A. The locker rooms are open, and a limited number of lockers are available for use. The number of lockers available are limited to achieve adequate physical distancing. Members are asked to abide by the physical distancing markers and respect the space of other members. If a member is using a locker, please wait until they leave the area or step aside before trying to use a locker nearby. Please use a disinfectant wipe before and after occupying a locker. Housekeeping will also be sanitizing the lockers throughout the course of the day.
Q. Are the wet areas in the locker rooms open?
A. The sinks, restrooms, and showers are open in the locker rooms. These areas will be cleaned and disinfected regularly throughout the course of the day. In accordance with guidelines from the State of Pennsylvania, the steam room and sauna will remain temporarily closed, and towel service is temporarily suspended.
Q. Will you still provide towels for use by members?
A. For sanitary reasons, towel service will be temporarily suspended. Please bring a towel for personal use.
Q. Will drinking fountains be available?
A. Members are encouraged to bring their own water bottles to the Center. The water bottle fillers on the drinking fountains will be available but drinking spouts will be temporarily out-of-service.
Group Fitness (Updated 12.11.20)
Note: Outdoor classes will continue during shutdown–weather permitting. Member participants will be required to wear an acceptable face mask during class. Please make sure to register in advance through Empower M.E.
Q. Will Group Fitness classes be available when you open?
A. We will open with a modified Group Fitness schedule and a class reservation system, in compliance with state guidelines. This modified schedule will allow enough time in between classes for cleaning and studio rest. The schedule will be posted on the website and Empower M.E., our member portal. See below on how to reserve a spot in class.
Q. Will there be a limit to the number of people permitted in a Group Fitness class?
A. Yes. To maintain adequate physical distancing and prevent overcrowding, there is a limited capacity for all Group Fitness classes. The appropriate number will depend on the size of the studio. The capacity will be specified on the Group Fitness calendar when you go to book.
Q. How do I reserve a spot in my favorite Group Fitness class?
A. All classes will require reservations. Reservations are on a first come, first served basis. You will be able to book a reservation 48 hours in advance through the class schedule on the website or log into Empower M.E. If you find that you cannot attend the class, you must cancel within two (2) hours of the class or you will be charged a $5 no-show fee on your membership account. Members may enter the studio up to 10 minutes before the start time of a class. If you are at the Center and a class is scheduled to begin and it is not full, you may join the class with the instructor’s permission. If you are unable to participate in person because the class is full, you may choose to participate virtually. More details on virtual programming below.
Q. Can I take more than one class a day?
A. We are requesting that members only attend one class per day to allow other members the opportunity to participate during this period of limited capacity class sizes and modified Group Fitness schedule.
Q. Can I bring my own equipment?
A. We have developed very strict disinfecting and sanitizing protocols for Group Fitness mats and supplies, following the conclusion of each class. If you are more comfortable bringing your own supplies, you certainly may. If you do bring your own supplies, we must caution you that all items must be disinfected before and after use, and please do not leave them unattended at any time.
Q. Will there be any restrictions on studio access?
A. Studios will not be accessible for use in between classes. Studio doors will open 10 minutes before the start of class. Participants will be requested to stand on the distancing markers set on the floor and check-in with the instructor to ensure attendance is confirmed. Post-class we request all participants to promptly exit the studio so we can begin our cleaning protocols and studio reset.
Virtual Programming (Updated 12.11.20)
Note: To participate in virtual programming during the shutdown, you must have an active membership and have signed-up for virtual by updating your interests in Empower M.E. Members with this interest listed will remain active and be charged their membership dues.
Q: What is virtual programming, and what services will be available?
A. Virtual programming is an at-home solution that will help you continue to lead a healthy lifestyle and stay engaged with your Center family, all in the comfort of your home. Virtual services available include:
- Virtual Group Fitness Classes: With this member-only exclusive perk, you have an offering of a wide variety of Group Fitness class favorites that are live-streamed and accessed on the Virtual Group Fitness platform. To participate in virtual programming, you must have an active (not frozen) membership and have signed-up for virtual by updating your interests in Empower M.E. For more detailed information on signing-up, registering/booking a class, and viewing the schedule, reference this handy Instruction Manual. Reminder: you must register for/book classes ahead of their scheduled class time to participate.
- Virtual Personal Training: Using the Zoom platform, your certified Personal Trainer will coach you through a dynamic, virtual workout utilizing any equipment you have available or your bodyweight (or see option to rent equipment below)–it’s like having an in-person, one-on-one session! For more information on this at-home training program, contact Personal Training Manager Michelle Kraus at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Virtual On-Demand Workouts: This member-only exclusive perk is a new offering for our members. This option provides the member with a variety of workouts ranging in different intensity levels and duration. To participate in virtual on-demand workouts, you must have an active (not frozen) membership and have signed-up for virtual by updating your interests in Empower M.E. For more detailed information on signing-up, and viewing the options, reference this handy Instruction Manual. Please note: new on-demand workouts will be uploaded daily.
- Equipment for Rent: To enhance your virtual experience, we now have available on a first-come, first-served basis the opportunity to rent equipment. The following equipment is available for rent: (1) Keiser® Cycle Bike (2) Les Mills™ BODYPUMP™ Kit (3) Mind/Body Kit and (4) Strength Kit. For more information, contact General Manager Ashley Lion Brandt at email@example.com.
Q. How can I access virtual programming options?
A. You can access the Virtual Group Fitness platform in two (2) ways.
- Online via our website through the ‘Group Fitness’ button on the homepage navigation or through your browser via this URL: https://vod.gleantap.com/movofit/;
- or mobile through the Movofit™ App by clicking the ‘VIRTUAL GROUP FITNESS’ tile.
You will be able to view the current class schedule and sign-up for classes through the platform. Once you register for a class, you will receive an invite. View this detailed Instruction Manual all about Virtual Group Fitness, including how to get started, booking a class, and much more.
RENTAL SERVICES (NEW)
Equipment for Rent: To enhance your virtual experience, we now have available on a first-come, first-served basis the opportunity to rent equipment. The following equipment is available for rent: (1) Keiser® cycle bike (2) Les Mills BODYPUMP™ Kit (3) Mind/Body Kit and (4) Strength Kit. For more information, contact General Manager Ashley Lion Brandt at firstname.lastname@example.org
Q. Will I be able to schedule an assessment with the nurse when you reopen?
A. Our assessment schedule with the nurse will be temporarily suspended until we can have a safe physical interaction and deliver a valuable assessment for your health and wellness needs. We will communicate with members when nurse assessments resume.
Q. Will I be able to meet with a trainer to receive a fitness orientation and exercise prescription/plan?
A. Yes. You will be able to meet with a trainer to complete your exercise orientation and prescription. Our trainers will wear masks at all times and will adhere to safe physical distancing guidelines while completing this service.
Personal Training & Pilates (Updated 12.11.20)
Q. Will I be able to purchase and/or use Personal Training sessions?
A. Yes. We offer both in-person and virtual personal training. To provide a safe experience while conducting in-person training, we’ve implemented extra safety protocols for you and your trainer. If you’re still not ready to come into the Center yet or have a condition that prevents you from coming in, consider our virtual training option which is conducted from the comfort of your home. Please, feel free to contact our Personal Training Manager if you would like more information on the benefits of Personal Training and discuss which route is best for your fitness goals and comfort level. You can also purchase training sessions online through the EmpowerM.E. portal.
Q. Will I be able to purchase and/or use Pilates reformer sessions?
A. Yes, our Pilates reformer training is available. Our Pilates instructors are ready to provide this service while practicing safe physical distancing protocols and safety procedures. Please feel free to contact our Pilates Reformer Coordinator to discuss package options or to schedule a session. You can also purchase sessions online through the EmpowerM.E. portal.
Q. Will my monthly Personal Training plan still be billed?
A. There will be no December 15th billing for Personal Training plans. All billing will resume as normal once we reopen.
Q. Will clients with Personal Training sessions set to expire during shutdown be provided an extension?
A. Yes. We will extend the expiration date equivalent to the amount of time the Center was closed. If you have any concerns, please contact the Personal Training Manager.
Michelle Kraus, Personal Training Manager: email@example.com
Aquatics (Updated 12.11.20)
You must reserve a lane in the lap pool or “spot” in the therapy pool through our member portal, Empower M.E. You do NOT need to reserve a spot in the spa pool, however, we ask that members limit their time to 15 minutes, and there is a maximum capacity of 4 members at one time.
Q. Will the pools be open when you reopen?
A. Yes, the lap, therapy, and spa pools are open. Everyone must wear a mask when entering the Aquatics Center and while on the pool deck. Masks should not be worn in the water, as this is a drowning hazard. The CDC has declared swimming pools to be safe. Members and swim clients will need to make a reservation before heading to the Aquatics Center, as space is limited due to physical distancing requirements. Reservations are on a first-come, first-served basis. You will be able to book a lap pool lane or therapy pool time 72 hours in advance. You will be able to make a reservation through Empower M.E. If you find that you cannot attend, you must cancel within two (2) hours of your reservation, or you will be charged a $15 no-show fee on your membership account. If you are at the Center and a lane or a spot in the therapy pool is available because it was not reserved or there was a cancellation, you may use the lane or the spot with the lifeguard’s permission, but only for the amount of time, it is not reserved.
Q. Will swim package expiration dates be extended?
A. Yes. We will extend the expiration date equivalent to the amount of time the Aquatics Center was closed. If you have any concerns, please contact the Aquatics Manager.
Shota Nakano, Aquatics Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
Q. Will we get our previous swim lesson time slots with our swim instructors, or do we have to schedule again?
A. We hope to continue with the same schedules. Please call the Center or reach out to the Aquatics Department for more information. You can also contact us online by filling out the form at the bottom of our Aquatics page.
Q. Swim team/Competitive Stroke/Parent & Me/Group Classes – will there be an extension?
A. Yes. We will extend the sessions as necessary to comply with the State of Pennsylvania guidelines.
Q. Will Childcare be provided when you reopen?
A. We know how important our Childcare services are, so we are excited to let you know that this service will be reinstated Monday, September 1st, 2020. We will follow a series of strict cleaning and disinfecting protocols as outlined below. Reservations will be required and can be made via the member portal, Empower M.E.
To adhere to physical distancing guidelines, a maximum of 12 children will be allowed in the Childcare Center at a time. This service is reserved for children in the immediate family of the member.
Adjusted Hours of Operation
- Monday–Thursday: 8:30am–11:30am / 4:00pm–8:00pm
- Friday: 8:30am–11:30am
- Saturday: 8:00am–12:00pm
PPE, Disinfecting, Sanitizing, and Good Hand Hygiene
- All children will be screened by a trained “health guard” before entering the facility.
- Upon entering the Childcare Center, all children must wash their hands or disinfect their hands at the Sanitizing Station.
- Children over the age of 2 years old must wear a face mask at all times while in Childcare. Please inform the Center prior to your reservation if the child has a medical condition which will prevent them from wearing a mask.
- Medical-grade, EPA-registered disinfectants—which are documented as highly-effective against COVID-19—that sanitize, are complete with fungicides, mildew stat, and virucide will be used for the continuous and daily cleaning of the Childcare Center.
- The Childcare Center will be cleaned and disinfect twice daily.
- Staff and housekeeping will spot-clean/disinfect throughout the day.
- Our staff will limit the use of shared objects. Items that are shared will be cleaned/disinfected between each use by a staff member.
- Please limit the items sent with your child when utilizing Childcare. If you do need to send something with your child, please make sure to individually label all items to ensure separation from others.
Contact Tracing & Reporting
- Members are asked to alert the General Manager, Ashley Brandt at email@example.com if they or their child test positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of their last Center visit. This is a requirement of the public health initiative.
- Once notified, we will then perform contact tracing with appropriate communication to all potentially exposed persons if there is a confirmed case of COVID-19.
For More Information
- Email Childcare Manager, Melissa Alderfer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Note from Center Management:
We hope you find these FAQ’s helpful. Please check back for regular updates as we continue to receive additional guidance from the state. The health and well-being of our members and employees remain our top priority. We thank you for your patience and understanding. Your continued commitment to your health is so appreciated.
Please stay safe!
You can now access your member account anywhere!
Empower M.E., our member self-service portal gives members the power.